Director: Nikos Charalambides, , Associate Professor
The course refers to the expression forms of modern Sculpture. The lessons provided to students provide training from the main concepts of classic sculpture to the modern quests and practices of today.
Special conceptual and practical exercises are assigned, lectures are given by teachers and external speakers, special presentations of technical topics and analyses on the role of modern sculpture and its historical course. The concepts from which the teaching of modern sculpture derives its material come beyond the area of visual arts from heterogeneous fields: science, geometry but also music, social and political sciences. Upon completion of the course, students should have the necessary basic knowledge of both classic and modern sculpture forms, including knowledge of its technical and conceptual context.The course’s objectives:
- The knowledge regarding methods of researching, analysing and composing data and information using the necessary technologies in a constantly expending interdisciplinary environment
- The ability of students to create sculptural compositions in the space, reduced or enlarged sculptural works, modeling with heterogeneous materials, the use and deepening of new technologies in sculpture
- Both the independent and group work on the development and completion of a sculpture project, the understanding of an organised plan of contributing in joint projects
- The ability to cooperate with international artist groups, the management and promotion of their work via electronic means, the awareness on social and humanitarian issues, the promotion of free, creative and artistic thought
The Curriculum includes:
- The body - the body as a whole and in part, The body that has been rejected or expelled, The absent body The body in transformation Moulds, representations and body, the figure and its hybrid formats. Bibliography Derrida, Jacques, and Paule Thevenin. The Secret Art of Antonin Artaud: ΜΙΤ Press, 2000. Penelope Curtis, Martin Herbert, James Lingwood, Ralph Rugoff, Τhe Human Factor: The Figure in Contemporary Sculpture, 17 Jun 2014 2010. Wood, John. The Virtual Embodied: Presence/Practice/Technology. Routledge, 1998. Kristeva, Julia. Powers of Horror: Essay οn Abjection. Columbia Univ. Press, Petra Gilroy-Hirtz Kiki Smith, Prestel; 2018
- The object as a construction Natural- synthetic Bibliography The Object Sculpture, Henry Moore Institute show 2002 David Batchelor , Chromophobia, Reaktion Books (October 1, 2000) Collins, Judith. Sculpture Today. Phaidon Press, 2014.
- Readymade Bibliography The Private Worlds of Marcel Duchamp: Desire, Liberation, and the Self in Modern Culture, Jerrold, University οf California Press, Los Angeles,1997 Lucy R. Lippard, Six Years: The Dematerialization of the Art Object from 1966 to 1972, 1997 Duve, Thierry De, et all. Pictorial Nominalism: On Marcel Duchamps Passage from Painting to the Readymade University οf Minnesota Press, 2005. Blunck, Lars, and Marcel Duchamp. Duchamps Readymade Edition Metzel, 2017.
- Sculpture and Architecture Designed environment Public and Private space Monuments Bibliography ΧΩΡΟΓΡΑΦΙΕΣ, Ο ΑΡΧΙΤΕΚΤΟΝΙΚΟΣ ΣΧΗΜΑΤΙΣΜΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΝΟΗΜΑΤΟΣ, ΠΕΠΟΝΗΣ ΓΙΑΝΝΗΣ, ISBN13 : 9789602211182 Εκδ. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΕΙΑ, October 2003 ΥΠΕΡΤΟΠΟΣ, ΔΥΟ ΑΡΧΙΤΕΚΤΟΝΙΚΕΣ ΜΕΛΕΤΕΣ, ΠΑΠΟΥΑΙΑΣ ΧΡΗΣΤΟΣ, ISBN13: 9789607980113, Ed. FUTURA Giedion-Welcker, Carola, and Bernard Karpe Contemporary Sculpture: An evolution in Volume and Space G. Wittenborn, 1961. Dodds George and Tavernor Robert, Body and Building, Essays on the Changing Relation of Body and Architecture, ed., ΤΙ ΜΙΤ Press, Cambridge,Massachusetts, London, England, 2001. Philip Steadman, Τhe Evolution of Designs: Biological Analogy in Architecture and the Applied Arts. New York, Cambridge University Press: 1979. Gould, James L., and Carol Grant. Gould. Animal Architects: Building and the Evolution of Intelligence. Basic Books, 2012. Hersey, George L. Τhe Monumental Impulse: Architectures Biological Roots. ΜΙΤ Press, 1999.
- Installation art Bibliography Rosenthal, Mark. Understanding Installation Art: from Duchamp to Holzer. Prestel, 2003. Ε Oliveira, Ν. and Archer, Μ. (2004). Installation Art London: Thames &Hudson. Bishop, Claire. Installation Art and Critical History. Tate Publ., 2014. Oliveira, Nicolas De, et all. Installation Art in the New Millennium: The Empire of the Senses, Thames & Hudson, 2006.
- Performance Bibliography Taylor, Diana, and Abigail Levine. Performance. Duke University Press, 2016. Satz Aura and Jon Wood. Articulate Objects: Voice, Sculpture and Performance. Peter Lang, 2009. Handbook, Plans for interactive installations, edited by Κ. Daflos, editions Papasotiriou, Athens 2007. ISBN 960-630-994-0
- Sculpture synaesthesia Light, Sound, Smell art, Taste, Tachile-haptic works Bibliography Mattis, Olivia, et all. Visual Music: Synaesthesia in Art and Music since 1900. Thames & Hudson, 2005. Abbado, Adriano. Visual Music Masters: Abstract Explorations: History and Contemporary Research. Skira, Shephard, Tim, and Anne Leonard. ΤΙ Routledge Companion Ιο Music and Visual Culture. Routledge, 2013. Loomer, Kasey. Visual Music: Visual Music: The Synaesthetic Relationship Between Visual Art and Music 2009.
- Light and Sculpture Bibliography Otto Piene:Otto Piene: Retrospektive 1952- 1996 , Druck & Verlagshaus (October 1, 1999) Otto Piene, More Sky (ΜΙΤ Press), Series: ΜΙΤ Press(June 15, 1973)
- Sound and Sculpture Bibliography Ιάννης Ξενάκης, ΚΕΙΜΕΝΑ ΠΕΡΙ ΜΟΥΣΙΚΗΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΡΧΙΤΕΚΤΟΝΙΚΗΣ,23/04/2001, ed. Ψυχογιός Σολωμός Μάκης,, Ιάννης Ξενάκης, Το σύμπαν ενός ιδιότυπου δημιουργού, μετάφραση Τίνα Πλυτά, ed. Αλεξάνδρεια, 2008 Takis, and William S. Burroughs. Takis: Magnetic Sculpture. Howard Wise Gallery, 1967. Takis, Takis Dix Ans De Sculpture 1954-1964. Galerie Alexandre Iolas, Paris 1964 Brandon LaBelle , Background Noise, Second Edition: Perspectives on Sound Art 2nd Edition, Publisher: Bloomsbury Academic; 2 edition (January 29, 2015)
- Haptic art Bibliography Lanfranco Aceti , Leonardo Almanac, νοl. 18, Νο. 3: Touch and (Volume 18), November 6, 2012, Publisher: Goldsmiths College (November 6, 2012) Mark Measday, Stephen Stow-Smith, Stelarc, 1976
- Sculpture and Technology, Sensors, micro-controllers, virtual environment, micro-robotics, 3-D models Bibliography Broeckmann, Α. (2017). Machine art in the twentieth century. Cambridge: ΜΙΤ Press Hofstadter, Douglas R. Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. Basic Books: New York, 1979. Paik, Ν. J. (1982). Nam June Paik. Paris: Centre Georges Pompidou. Burnham, Jack. Beyond Modern Sculpture: The Effects of Science and Technology on the Sculpture of This Century. G. Braziller, 1987. Smith, Marquard, and Julie Clarke. Stelarc: The Monograph. ΜΙΤ, 2007.
- Biotechnology, bio-forms Bibliography William Myers ,Bio Art: Altered Realities, Publisher: Thames & Hudson; 1 edition (October 6, 2015) Bio Art, Futura magazine Νο7, spring 2001 Robert Ε. Mitchell , Bioart and the Vitality of Media (Ιη Vivo), Publisher: University of Washington Press; F First Edition Used edition (April 14, 2010) Text, Code and the Arts of Bio-age'/Ioannis Melanitis: Institutional Critique to Hospitality: Bio Art Practice Now Α critical anthology ed.by Assimina Kaniari, Athens: Grigori Publications [Εκδόσεις Γρηγόρη], Αrt history and theory 5, ISBN: 978-960-612-019-0, 2017. Sagan Dorion, ΜΙ ΙιΖοι: Biology and Multiplicity, Zone 6 : Incorporations. Zone Books, 1992. Assimina Kaniari , Institutional Critique to Hospitality: Bio Art Practice Now Α critical anthology, March 17 Peter J. Bentley , Evolutionary Design by Computers
- Political, philosophical and social approaches Bibliography Mark C. Taylor , Hiding (Religion and Postmodernism) 1 st Edition, Publisher: University Of Chicago Press; 1 edition (January 17, 1998) What Is Art?: Conversations with Joseph Beuys , Clairview Books (November 1, 2004) Claudia Mesch , Viola Michely , Arthur C. Danto, Joseph Beuys. The Reader (ΜΙΤ Press) August 17, 2007 Jean-Francois Chevrier , Politics, Poetics - Documenta Χ, Ηι Cantz Publishers (June 2, 1997)
- The relationship between sculpture and institutions and sculpture strategies in modern art Bibliography Μary Ceruti , Ruba Katrib, Whο Cares?: Inquiries Into Contemporary Sculpture — 22 Feb 2018 William Tucker , The Language of Sculpture —21 Νον 1977 Paul Thomas , Lanfranco Aceti Interference Strategies: Leonardo Electronic Almanac, νοl. 20, Νο. 2 (Volume 20) , Leonardo Electronic Almanac, Goldsmiths, University of London; (Apr11 15, 2014)
- Studio operating hours: 8:00-20:00
- Exercises on nude: 12:00-14:00 & other exercises 8:00-20:00
- Scheduled appointment with the Director: Wednesday 12:00 -15:00
- Meetings with professors: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- External speaker lectures: To be announced online